Monday 8 December 2008

DG: Gingerbread House

In an effort to festive up the House of Huff, Her Huffness decided to purchase a gingerbread house kit. As a child, I used to make one of these from scratch (well, from graham crackers), and I remember it being a lot of fun, easy to do, and delicious to eat, a month later, when the whole thing is rock solid and needs a hammer to break it and really good teeth to eat it with.




So, why not? (I have good teeth.)




I picked up the kit at Costco, and decided to research as much as I could before I started to build it - I didn't see the instructions at first, so I went to the Create A Treat website, watched the instructional video (hosted by a 10-year-old boy, so I was sure I'd be successful!), and checked out the gallery.




Obviously, one picture stands out from all the rest. I figured that, if three grown men could have this much fun decorating a gingerbread house, the weekend was sure to be a blast. I mean, what could be more fun on a Saturday night???


I forwarded the picture, enthusiastically, to His Huffness, who replied back that he would be glad to help out. Note the keen-yet-somewhat-pained smile on my helper.




Well, it didn't quite match the hilarity of the guys in the gallery, but we did ok. Chris was in charge of the front of the house, and I was in charge of the back. There "may" have been a bit of profanity during the initial stages, but we ended up doing quite a bang-up job of it, if I do say so myself. Afterall, with gingerbread house art, really, if you mess something up, stick another gob of icing on it, and cover it with candy. Done.


We also each fashioned a very creepy, scary-looking gingerbread man, which are somewhat nightmare-inducing, so I've spared my readers of any photos.

All in all, though, aside from the decorative aspect, the best part of this project is that my living room now smells like gingerbread. And now we start the countdown to when the house is fair game as a snack...


In other news, I had my 35-week checkup on Friday. The Huffalump is still floating head down, and other than the doctor refusing to say out loud, "Why, that's the most streamlined, smallest-headed baby I've ever palpated!", everything went fine. I'm as healthy as a horsie, and we just need to wait till the 'lump engages itself and decides to make an appearance. I have a feeling that the gingerbread house may be long gone by then.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do have to agree that doctors are inclined to hold back a lot of useful information...Too bad it isn't your first trimester all that ginger would be great for the nausea!

Ho, ho, ho,
Jenny

Woody said...

Hello everyone, we've landed in CLEAVEland.

Anonymous said...

Showed Logan the pictures and he want to build a house just like yours! Think I'll downsize to the graham cracker style for his first attempt.
Looks like you both did a great job, but yes, Chris needs a more enthusiastic smile - maybe he hadn't had enought sugar????
Mommmmmm

Favourite posts