Thursday 17 July 2008

DG Presents: Yummus

The Domestic Goddess rides again!

Perhaps due to the increased spare time I have on my hands (Chris is still in la Calgarie, on French training, for another week and a bit), or perhaps due to uncontrollable cravings, I decided to make myself a nice batch of my homemade, low fat hummus, which I like to call Yummus. It's quick, easy, cheap, high in fibre and protein, deeeelicious, and great as a dip with veggies or as a sammich filling. Now sit up straight. I give you:


Yummus à la Goddess

Prep time: less than 5 minutes

1-2 cloves garlic*
1 tsp dried or a handful of fresh parsley
2 Tbs lemon juice
3 Tbs of DG's breakthrough product, I Can't Believe It's Not Tahini**
1 can of chick peas, rinsed well and drained

Throw the first 4 ingredients into a handy-blender/food processor (I got mine from Andrea -- thanks again!) and blend until the garlic is finely chopped and the rest is fairly mixed. Add chick peas, only a few at a time, pulsing to blend. Add water as needed to keep it blending; you can add extra water to make it smooth (for a dip) or leave it a bit chunky and textured for a spread.


That's it. Yum.


*amount of garlic you put in should be related to the amount of people you plan on kissing or close-talking in the next 24 hours. Note that the intensity of the garlickosity develops, so if you put in enough to make it garlicky right away, it'll be crazy garlicky (you know the kind - where you can actually feel the toothpaste and the garlic fighting it out, and the garlic wins the first round) (not a bad thing!) after a few hours in the fridge.


**tahini seems to come in giant-pickle-jar sizes only, and I've yet to use more than a quarter of one before it goes bad, so I use ...(purists, stop reading now!)... peanut butter. So far, nobody has been able to tell, except for perhaps the husband, but that was AFTER he knew I put pb in it, and he said, "it tastes like peanut butter". But really, I think he was just being difficult.

No comments:

Favourite posts